Thread: Shaking An Urge
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by NobleCause View Post
This implies that logic drives the urge.

I don't think that wanting sobriety completely, yet still being struck by the compulsion to drink during difficult times are mutually exclusive phenomena. Far from ambivalent, I am fighting like a mofo to hold my ground and grow my sobriety while I navigate some pretty gnarly stuff.

Apologies if this sounds defensive - it isn't meant to be. I've been on the ropes all day and need to go find a way down.
I don't think it sounded defensive at all.....

In some instances, it takes a little "meanness" or "bad-a$$ness" to get/stay sober... ya know, you gotta get maaad at drinking. And make NO mistake, the challenges in life KEEP COMING......which makes our quest for sobriety even moooore important because, from my experiences, those challenges keep getting deeper, more difficult, and more challenging as we age.

The weight of life bearing down on me sure did wonders for my "willingness to go to any lengths" to grow in sobriety. The worse things got the more willing I was to try new avenues and to really give them a sincere, from-the-heart try..... turned out, those "difficulties" were a blessing in disguise - the got me to where I am NOW.