View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saphira

I hear ya about the hubby thing. As I've stated in other posts, my husband is a manager at a liquor store and his whole life is about trying new liquor and beer to sell in his store. We have drank together throughout the years and it was the same sort of thing that you described-- nasty looks, etc. but not really understanding. I was pretty angry for awhile that he didn't understand. I heard "just drink on the weekends" or "just have a couple" so many times I can't even tell you. Eventually I had to realize the obvious-- this is my problem. My husband absolutely does not understand, but I guess he doesn't really have to. I need to focus on myself and surround myself with people who DO understand what I'm going through. My husband is still there and still as supportive as he can be, but I don't look to him for help with this.
I would say just try as hard as you can to concentrate on yourself and your sobriety. Maybe try talking to your husband about how much you want to stay sober and explain it makes it harder when he makes comments like that. It shouldn't matter if he really thinks you're an alcoholic or not-- labels aren't necessary... your desire to quit drinking is enough and should be enough for him as well.