Old 08-03-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
GingerM

We learn boundaries. Your kids talk to you (a LOT, it sounds like). Well, give yourself a huge pat on the back for that! You did good!

Now you need to find ways to get them to understand that, while you love them and you want to talk to them, it's not always socially acceptable to interrupt people while they're working. This is a life skill they will need to learn anyway - it's not like their teachers or future bosses are going to want to be interrupted with every little thing that flits through their minds.

Set boundaries with your kids - kind, gentle ones of course. Tell them "I'm very sorry honey, I'm right in the middle of something and am not able to give you my full attention. As soon as I finish this, I will come find you and we can talk all you want, but for now, could you please give me a little quiet time so I can wrap this up?"

I've found with my teen that it works very very well. As long as I say it with respect and as a request (or even a "could you do me a favor" type statement), he feels included, not rejected - like he's helping me get my work done. Your mileage may vary - but you'd also be teaching them a different skill: how to gracefully tell someone "go away kid, ya bother me." That skill is one an awful lot of adults could stand a lesson or two in!