View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
RecoverRN

donewithpills, I would ask your counselor at the outpatient treatment center. They MIGHT not have to notify the BON. Do they know you are a nurse? Have they mentioned anything about it to you? I am in outpatient rehab as well, but I was sent there by my state's advocacy program (thankfully.) As meditation mentioned, being a part of that program protects our license so that the BON does not become aware of the issue and does not suspend or revoke our license. As long as you are compliant in the program, you continue to work under your same license with restrictions such as no narcotics, calling daily for random drug screens, attending meetings, counseling, etc. All of the requirements are really for the best interest of the nurse AND the public. It is stict and a LOT to do, somewhat overwhelming, but I do feel it is the best way for me to recover. I tried doing it alone at first and failed after 6 months. I like being accountable to someone, because that keeps me aware and alert that my addiction is a constant threat that I need to be ready to fight off! So far so good.

I bet if you just ask your treatment center if they are required to report you, they will be honest with you. I know my counselor told me that she won't even tell any of the details I share in group with my advocacy program unless I am endangering my life or my patients'. She told me she would always tell me before she speaks with my case manager. And I had to sign a release of information between the two agencies before they could even be authorized to speak to one another. So I seriously doubt they would report anything to the BON behind your back!