View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
doublewhammy

Well, here we are at almost 2 weeks in the hospital. All evaluations have been done, we are just waiting to hear back from psych. Not that it matters much, it has already been determined that from the physical/occupational therapy evaluations she is unable to perform ANY basic function on her own. Everything she was evaluated for her she was found to need moderate-maximum x2 assistance. This means she needs moderate assistance to full assistance of TWO staff to perform functions such as grooming, bathing, going to the bathroom, eating, walking, talking...all it.

I spoke to the Neurologist again this morning. Yesterday he told me that she could very well have permanent brain damage and he believed she had dementia. He said he could not say for sure until the MRI results were in. He called back this morning and said the MRI did show brain atrophy (which is the shrinking and deteriorating of her brain from the alcohol he said).

They are just confirming what we already knew, but somehow it just is harder to hear it for sure. We are trying to find a facility that can take her for physical, occupational and maybe psychiatric care, but right now we will take anywhere that can care for her basic needs at this point.

My family is so screwed. The emotional scars that have been left behind from years of my mom's drinking are just the icing on the cake at this point. My dad is surely going to lose everything including their house. He still doesn't have access to half their bank accounts because she did all the bills and banking and never gave him access to anything. I don't know how we will work that all out. This is a disaster all around. It's even harder to deal with when she still is telling everyone (in her very slurred and difficult to understand speech) in the hospital that she had 2 strokes and that's why she is in there. Does she really not know? Or does she not want to know?

I HATE this entire situation.