View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 09:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
donewithpills

Originally Posted by meditation View Post
The employee assistance folks told me that nurses ARE held to a higher standard than others.
Even doctors can go back to practice after going to rehab and are allowed to resume. I know they have stipulations. I think pharmacist's have it worse than nurses as far as going back to work, they are held out a long time at least 6 months and have to have an advocate plead for them to have the licenses unsuspended.
I miss bedside care. I really loved being a hands on nurse. After I was fired from the hospital I applied for a job in a nursing home as admitting director. I did not get it they managed to talk me into taking a nurse manager position and I thought I would be safe but lo...... call in's forced me to pass meds..... and that was a bad place for me being untreated. I hope you can find something that allows you to resume and enjoy your career but doesn't put you in a place of danger either.
Meditation,
I can understand nurses being held to a higher standard than doctors for a few reasons...perhaps because many are women, the traditional nurse role is focused on nurture and caring, and ethics plays a large role in nursing, to name a few. I am planning to look for something, but right now I am not far enuf in my recovery (only a week) to have any desire for job hunting. Any suggestions?