View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
StarCat
Today is a New Day

Al-Anon is free or $1, depending upon whether or not you put any money in the basket. (When I first started going to Al-Anon, XABF had spent so much of my money that I was literally emptying out my coin purse and putting in random amounts like $0.41 and $0.18 until one of the ladies there told me that I didn't have to put anything in if I didn't have anything.)
Al-Anon has helped me a lot, especially with the people I have met there.

Some therapists offer sessions on a sliding scale, as well, which may help. Also it is up to you how often you want to go see the therapist, you do not have to go every week. (Mine currently varies between every other week to once a month depending upon what we're working on at the time.) I have heard that some therapists will also offer the first session free, I guess so you can determine if you like the therapist or not. There may also be government assistance programs available that you might qualify for. In my case, since XABF was also abusive, I am eligible for five sessions of abuse counseling and unlimited group session, all free at the local woman's shelter, if I choose to use that resource - and there are no strings attached regarding my current financial situation, I was abused and that's all they look at.

While I do not currently take antidepressants, I did go to a regular physician one summer during college who prescribed them for me. I wasn't able to take them long - my mother discovered them and I was not 18 yet - but you can get them from a doctor. I had never seen this doctor before, either - she was very patient listening as I told her what was bothering me before deciding I should take them and even gave me enough samples so that I could start taking them without the prescription appearing on my parents' health insurance before deciding whether or not they worked for me.
So that's an option, if antidepressants are what you feel you require.

This forum is also a great help, and it's completely free as long as you can access an internet connection.

There are options. Some work better than others, and everyone's needs and requirements are different, but if money is an issue you might as well investigate all the cheap/free options first. Sometimes they even work better than the others, depending on what you need.