View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Gwizz

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
There is a quote from the AA Big Book I see posted a lot, usually to another alcholic who has posted the idea of drinking moderately. It reads in part:

The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker.

Your husband may have never shaken the idea that one day he can drink.

There are a lot of bumps in recovery. Some lead to relapses. I'm more worried about my own "stinking thinking" leading me back to the bottle. Alcohol is cunning and baffling. The lure to drink is unknowable to the non-drinker. But a recovery program should be helping him with this. Is he in one? Abstinence is not recovery. Abstinence is just a long wait for the next drink.

Good luck to you, and to your husband.
So basically once a druggie always a druggie, once a shoplifter always a shop lifter, once a burglar always a burglar, once a drink driver always a drink driver the list go on, trouble is with many alcoholics their thoughts are always negative and always read books and probably made up from someone who has been to university and studied alcoholism and probably never been alcoholic.

Life will change but only if you allow it, many alcoholics who say once an alcoholic always an alcoholic are generally these who have really struggled in their fight for sobriety and are going to make sure they tell the world as well.

One of the major things I have also learnt is that some recovered alcoholics are very negative in helping others, I don't know why this but I do find they give more negative feedback than positive.

If you are an ex-alcoholic fine well done, but its a great big world out there where their are many great ventures, you have already wasted part of your life in alcoholism don't spend the other half on the same subject...