Thread: fearof ridicule
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EveningRose

Yes, I think it's the tapes in the head. And maybe someone has better advice,but it seems to me you're on the right track of laying new tapes.

I am the same way, even decades later, fearing that I'm a screw-up and am going to be ridiculed and finally realized it's my father's voice "YOU HAVE NO COMMON SENSE!" in the tone of disgust and some other delightful key phrases that thank goodness are gradually fading, and my mother's similar attitude.

One of the answers is to pull back from the negative people and make new relationships with positive people who see good in you.

I have come to understand recently that my fear of ridicule involves the fear that if someone sees bad in me, it means I AM bad (my mother's message: well, if they're saying such and such, maybe you better look at yourself, my mother's message that the problem is always me and I must change and be better so people won't have an issue with me.)

I have also had to grow a thicker skin, and realize that someone else's opinion of me doesn't matter. I've had to realize that EVERYONE in this world has someone who dislikes them. Silly little thing, but recently, I saw a really scathing post on someone's blog about a person I greatly admire, professionally and personally, someone with a sense of humor who can laugh at himself, a hard worker, all these admirable personal qualities--and it helped me to see that NOBODY is loved by everyone, and it's okay if someone disagrees with me or dislikes me or even says bad things about me. It doesn't mean it's true, it doesn't mean I'm bad.

Bit by bit, I'm getting away from this fear of ridicule, but it's a long, hard road.