View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 11:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

(((Recover))) - I think you'll find quite a few nurses here. I was also an RN, who did the same thing, but I decided to quit the opiates, and not deal with underlying codie issues. Hooked up with a guy from my meeting that introduced me to crack and THAT's what brought me to my knees.

I have given up the profession of nursing, though most here have, or are, going through the hoops. I couldn't afford rehab, much less the other things that the BON (board of nursing) requires, monetarily, so am working on a degree in HIT, while working in fast food and 1-2 other jobs.

I'm okay with my decision, but truly admire those of you who have managed the "hoops" and gotten into recovery. I don't know what my future holds for me, but I'm pretty sure that I'll find my niche, get back into healthcare then volunteer somewhere where I can help people.

I've got over 4 years in recovery, beat myself up for quite a bit of that time, until I finally realized, in my head, heart, and gut that I'm not the same person, that my using years were but a chapter in the book of my life, and it's okay to close that chapter and move on to another.

I know my story isn't like the other recovering nurses, but it is what it is, and I'm finally at peace with me....something I haven't been for a long, long time.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy