Thread: newpolliiiiii
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
DoubtfulDebs

Originally Posted by Murray4x5 View Post
It saddens me though, that they're still out there, still throwing hurdles in the path of the unaware, and that a part of them will celebrate and not be saddened if I ever pick up the bottle again.
^ that.

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I digress. I failed to recognize that S.R. needs a forum for every conceivable type of recovery.
and yet it seems to have them - this one says '12 step programs are off topic for this forum', for example.

probably because we all bring different stuff to the table and when we are fully invested in one method of recovery, we don't need to hear people who are 100% vested in a different one with opposing views telling us we're wrong, no matter how much they may believe that to be the truth.

it's not helpful, not supportive, and under the right (or wrong) circumstances could be damaging, or even deadly. it's also kinda petty...

going back to the original topic, the psychological (or maybe more behavioural?) tip that's working best for me right now is to distract myself in a positive way when something stirs up my addictive voice/'beast' (i'm assuming many of you know the terminology of avrt) - this stops me falling into the trap of arguing with it, which i would lose because its a mindless thing that exists for only one purpose.

i did that today when the idea of a relaxed glass of wine (my poison of choice) with lunch looked appealing (backed up with 'you've been so good now' etc!), so i bought a novel and read that instead - not earthbreaking but within 10 mintutes i was into the story and because i can't read drunk, it killed the whole temptation of 'relaxing' ie lossening my grip on clear-headedness.

obviously this doesn't mean all we boozehounds ever had to do in the past was grab a book, whoopdidoo problem solved forever, but recognising the right distraction for the right occasion is something i've been finding helpful especially after the first 2 weeks.

anyone else do anything like this?

debs