View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

It is quite frustrating and hurtful to deal with those who can not understand anxiety. Unfortunately those who do not deal with it can not comprehend how debilitating it can be and most believe that it is a "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" type of thing. Until I started experiencing it myself I also believed that will power could take care of it and that people who were experiencing it were just out for the drama and attention. I did treat them with compassion though but was unable to show empathy until I experienced it myself.

I am fortunate that my partner is compassionate and tries to be understanding of my mental health conditions including anxiety. If it were not for her I don't know what I would do I quite possibly would have committed suicide as I have been that discouraged many times because of my mental health conditions. There are many in my life who do not understand and truly wonder why I am unable to work, have agoraphobia, and take anxiety medications. Although few realize that I do take medications to help me with these episodes. I also deal with people that think that I am not sober simply because I take medications to deal with this very real medical problem. It is frustrating and embarrassing to deal with people who can not understand because they do not deal with the severity of a severe anxiety problem.

What I can suggest is that even though your mother is against medical help for your problems please seek medical advise. What she does not realize is that people do commit suicide due to anxiety problems so not taking medications to treat it really makes no sense. The only thing that keeps me going some days is the hope that things will get better and I know that the only way that it will get better is if I do all that I can to treat my anxiety. That for me includes medication, therapy, yoga, positive readings/meditation, and exercise. All of those things combined have helped but have not cured my problem. I keep going because they have helped and it gives me hope that one day I will find a cure for my anxiety.

I can only imagine what it is like to have a partner who is not supportive. Although my partner gets discouraged and can not totally understand she at least does not belittle me when I am experiencing an attack instead she is supportive and usually can recognize the beginning of an attack before I even see it and tells me it is time to take my medication. Sometimes that frustrates me but I am thankful for her. I do hope your boyfriend learns to understand that the anxiety is a real medical condition and can become more supportive. In the meantime I hope you find the support and encouragement that I have found on these boards.