View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SoloMio

Hey, can I jump on the middle-of-the-night vent-a-thon? I'm up, too--and I too have a long day of work ahead of me tomorrow, and can't sleep--came down to sleep in the office because drunk AH is moaning the way he does when he's drunk/asleep.

I'm sorry you hate New York. I've always wanted to live there! I know it's crowded and rowdy but there's so much going on there. I know I would get really annoyed, however, at the rudeness you mentioned. It bugs the heck out of me, too, when people just are so myopic all they are aware of is themselves.

Actually two of my kids live there and are moving next week.. they come to visit me, in a standard subdivision, and they say "Ah! It's great to be in the country!" And I tell them, this isn't the country, but at least I have a yard and a nice view of a park. They're moving to Vermont--talk about the pendulum swinging from one side to the other.

And Vermont is the subject for my sleepless night. As a family we go on vacation there every year--have done so for many years. But of late, since my AH relapse almost 7 years ago, it's gone from being a nice quiet, peaceful vacation to being a non-stop drunkfest. Not only from AH, but frankly, he has successfully created this family culture of drinking that is just ridiculous.

When I left for several weeks to change my behavior, my second son asked me, what about Vermont? He meant that if I were putting my foot down, stopping enabling, etc, how was I going to handle Vermont??

I told him at that time that I'd figure it out and I'd know what to do when the time came. Well, I still really don't know. It's disturbing that my kids have accepted the fact that this vacation has gone from being a really nice, healthy re-creation to a week of self-destruction--not only for their dad, but even them. My second son said, "I know it will be tough, but I swear that I don't want to drink EVERY DAY, getting up the next day feeling terrible."

This is my son! He's admitting that he's healthier when he's not around his parents! It just eats at me.

I don't know. It's just a week. My kids are all adults and they can do as they wish. But I swear to God, I feel like buying a pup tent before I go up and pitching it somewhere if I need an escape.

My feelings at the moment are not anger, but fear and frustration. It's the same feeling I imagine people feel when they see a flood rushing through their homes, while they watching pieces of their lives float away.

So, your frustration is leveled at New York, and mine at greener pastures in Vermont here in the middle of the night.

Have a good day tomorrow--tgif!