View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
PaleMale

Personally, I needed something extra to help me after work as well. Something that felt really good and took my mind off the world. I re kindled my love of guitar playing, and chose the most interesting and difficult aspect of guitar that I in the past always intimidated me as something "I could never do.) Jazz guitar...

Wes Montgomery and Django Reinhart, John Scofield and John MacLaughlin are my goals now. And you know what? It's working! A day at a time, I remain sober and a day at a time I'm getting much better playing difficult guitar material. I'm even reading music now! I play guitar over 5 hours a day now! I buy picks and strings in bulk packages now.

So that's my advice. Take up something that is difficult, rewarding and time consuming, that takes a lot of practice. Not all of learning something is fun all the time, but as you improve, the 'high' gets better and better.

Some people do knitting or needle point. Some will draw or paint. Other may build wood sailboats, or solder a Theramin together from parts.