View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 04:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
m1k3

Originally Posted by blueblooms14 View Post
I think Roxie makes a very important point here. It's that person that was bad for me, not just the mean, dishonest, exploitative parts. It's the whole package.

I'm more repulsed by the "good, kind, loving" times or behaviors because they ARE the sugar pill, the lure, the part that kept me in and kept me from staying strong and confident in my perception of reality. It's like Lundy Bancroft describes- the sugar and sweetness is a necessary part of the whole destructive package, which itself imbalances me in its whipsaw effect. The sugar/sweetness blinds me- that's the drug that leads me to ignore, forget, or whitewash the nasty, dishonest, exploitative things XABF did. In retrospect the sweetness is even more repulsive and insidious to me than the nasty was, because the good was the drug I swallowed to blot out reality.

I have a lifelong history of this traumatic bonding process, since I was about 3, so there is a lot of retraining to do.
WoW, thank you blue for posting this. I never thought of the sweet side as the drug I was addicted to. That really hit home.

As Cyranoak posted one time. Jekyll and Hyde are a package deal. You can't get one without the other.

What has worked best with me since I left my AW has been focusing on me and working my recovery. I have discovered that recovery is work, its not just something that happens, at least with me. I have started journaling also. Sometimes just putting my thoughts and feelings on paper has a huge healing effect. I have posted here a lot for the short time I've been here and have started attending Al-anon. I have found that focusing on me and sharing my experiences has been just what I needed to improve me.

PS, it gets very much better.

Your friend,