Thread: Panic attacks
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bayliss

Hello Lpnangel,

I decided to give my opinion on your panic attacks; I deal with them a lot too, I have anxiety disorder so I have quite a bit of knowledge on it and have gone to therapy for it as well.
First of all, it is physiologically impossible for you to have a panic attack when you breathe through your belly. It's the same thing when you're drinking - you'll never have one and the reason being is that you are breathing shallowly - through your belly. So when you drink you are quite calm with yourself.
Other things that have helped me are thinking of my big comfy bed or cuddling with my bf and just knowing that everything is okay.
Another method that works is if you sit there with you're anxiety and say to yourself "Okay anxiety, I feel really crappy right now, do something worse, make me feel A LOT worse!" - usually, the anxiety subsides, all it is is extra adrenaline pumping through your body. And anxiety attacks usually only last between 5 to 20 minutes.

It's definitely a crappy feeling...you feel like you're about to die, I know. I've been through it so many times.
You should also read up on it as much as possible. There are some great books out there! Some by Dr. Claire Weekes, others by David Burns.
There are also work books such as the Stress and Relaxation workbook.
Definitely reading up on it has helped me immensely.

Other options are medication. It's definitely something you may want to look into it if your anxiety is debilitating. I also have been taken Ativan for severe panic attacks which works great for me...but you have to be careful with benzo's, as they are addicting.

Hope I somewhat helped and you feel better soon!