View Single Post
Old 08-19-2004, 10:12 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
hoopiville

Hi Stacy,

I too loved my wine. I finally gave it up on Jan. 1st of this year, which makes me about 7 months sober. I did the first 30 days by myself, and then I went into an out-patient program that mostly taught me about this disease. For me, that was so important, to understand why we are alcoholics. At first, I couldn't get enough information about it, I read everything I could get my hands on, its all really very interesting. I ended up at AA meetings, and I now know I never would have made it on my own. It is a wonderful program with wonderful people who all really just want to help you. The newcomer is the most important person in the meetings and when people find out you are a newcomer, they will bend over backwards to help you in any way they can, you see, you also help them to stay sober, it works both ways. The idea behind AA is one drunk helping another drunk stay sober and for me it has worked.

It is not a religious program, but a spiritual one. I have never been preached to, but people will talk alot about their higher power. I also have issues with "god talk" and was apprehensive, but beleive me, it is so not what you think!

I suggest you find a good womens meeting, and don't worry about the ananomity. Just get yourself in a meeting, you will be glad you did. Good luck and congratulations on making the first step!

Mimi