Old 07-14-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
YourNameHere

Question Brother needs help understanding why girlfriend is moving on...

I think my brother could use some words of wisdom from both alcoholics and people who have left their alcoholic partners. My brother has been sober 46 days and I am very proud. Unfortunately what brought this accomplishment on was the final break-up with his girlfriend of 4 years. They were very serious as a couple, thinking of having kids and such but my brother's alcoholism was a serious problem too and she could no longer deal with it. Sadly our family did not see the severity of my brother's situation and his girlfriend basically went through this alone.
Now that you have a bit of the background let me explain what my brother is having a hard time dealing with. His eyes are open now and a lot of his ideals and dreams are in line with what his ex wanted in life but she has given up on my brother. She wants nothing more to do with my brother's problems, which I think is her own way of recovering from his alcoholism. He tried to apologize last week and she didn't want to hear it because she's heard it before. He's now found out she is possibly dating again and my brother is angry that she hasn't cared one way or another (that we know of) how his recovery is going, especially since he almost literally drank himself to death in the month after he left.
My brother knows after what all he put her through, her actions have been understandable but he's having trouble emotionally accepting that since he is making progress with his alcoholism and his way of thinking has grown and matured, kind of like he's fixed the problem, why doesn't she realize it? I think if my brother has a better understanding of why his ex is doing what she's doing he might find some peace knowing why she is moving on. I think he needs to know what he should expect from her and why. Thanks!