Old 07-13-2011, 03:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Tippingpoint

Originally Posted by ElvisInASkirt View Post
Hey TP,

I ran the Belfast Marathon in May there and I've managed to maintain on average 15-20 miles a week since then. Not great but it's a start.

On the night before the long runs last time around I'd drink the best part of a bottle of vodka the night before and still go out the next day. Without that crap in my system I'm capable of doing better.

Struggling with my weight still. 210lbs and I'm 6'3" looking to get down to below 195lb by the time of the run itself.

So you're right running is a great incentive to kick the habit. My first long run this week will be 13km. Last time around I started off at 8km and worked up to 18 miles over 16 weeks of training.

Finished in 5 hours 56 seconds last time around but I'd only been running 4 months and at the same time the year before I was 280lbs.
I'm 6'1" and weigh 182, so I would agree that it would be easier if you were a little lighter - depends on your body type too though.

I've never run a full before. I ran half marathons the past two years and finished in 1:40 and 1:45. So, based on that I have a goal in mind for the full to finish at 3:45 or less. Hopefully I'm not delusional!

I can relate to what you said about drinking the night before your runs. I used to use the runs as a hangover cure...gawd, I feel horrible...maybe running 10km will make me feel better - and it usually did, but I'm sure it didn't do my running any good!

Good luck with it.