Old 07-12-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
billsaintjames

Originally Posted by Jesse7277 View Post
I like the people who question his idea of clean but smoke cigarettes That's not very clean either
I was about to say the same thing. You can also throw in caffeine. Hell, you can throw in prescription meds, too. People come here all the time and say "The doctor prescribed me X medication for my pain, if I use it does that mean I'm not sober?". The response is typically if not always an overwhelming "Yes". Um, what?

Like it or not, clean IS defined however we like. Otherwise, we'd tell everyone who used pain meds, or smoked, or drank coffee, or accidentally drank wine in church to turn back their proverbial sobriety clock. It just so happens that the majority of folks deem an individual "clean" despite using and/or abusing the substances that are designated as *OK* by the recovery society.

I don't think self-medicating with oxycodone or marijuana gives someone the best chance at living a long, happy, healthy life. I also don't think smoking a pack of cigarettes or eating cheeseburgers every day does. If I smoked a joint today over coffee with a friend, I would feel more comfortable with my long-term happiness and health than if I were addicted to cigarettes (and many folks are quite open and comfortable with that addiction. I have seen some people in recovery RECOMMEND people pick up smoking to deal with anxiety -- but that's OK, because cigarettes don't break the rules!).

It's more important to look at the big picture, in my opinion. I'm not advocating drug use, as this *is* a sober-only recovery site (whatever that means!), but the hypocrisy and, in reality, vagueness of sobriety is just ridiculous sometimes, particularly concerning cigarettes and it's long-term health effects.