Old 07-12-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
2GIAM

Need some Experience, Stregth and Hope as well as SUGGESTIONS

Hello, my name is Ishmael M and I am a Grateful recovering addict. I am a member of the policy subcommittee of my area which is the First Coast Area of Narcotics Anonymous. We need some clarity on an issue and was hoping that I could get some experince and suggestions that could possibly help us in this area. The issues are as follows: Our convention subcommittee is responsible for choosing our main speakers for our area. There are some in our area that feel that they violated our policy and others that don’t. The problem is in the interpretation of our policy. Here is a copy from our convention policy for programming. I will place in bold the area in which the problem lies.

When choosing our speakers we must keep in mind that diversity is our strength. We suggest that the
Committee remembers this to keep the workshops and speaker meetings as diverse as possible. When considering
the four (4) main speakers: one (1) should be from our area, one (1) from our region, one (1) from a three hundred
mile radius, and one (1) from the world wide fellowship. The Programming Committee is responsible for arranging transportation for all speakers; upon submitting three written bids for transportation.
Whenever funds are available, a speaker’s travel expenses may be paid. Sometimes complimentary rooms are
provided to Main-Meeting Speakers as a way of deferring the additional expenses.

Our programming committee chose 4 speakers, one (1) from our area, one (1) form the world wide fellowship, one (1) from California and one (1) from New York. This means we do not have a Regional speaker or a speaker from a three hundred mile radius. The speaker they are using for the world is also from New York and a plane ticket has been bought for this particular speaker; which our policy call for. This gives us a total of 3 speakers from outside our area; two from New York and one from California.

Our programming committee feels they have not violated our policy because they feel the consideration of the speakers is a suggestion. They say that the word “suggest” in the beginning of the second sentence is referring to the 3rd sentence and therefore stating that it is suggested who the speakers should be. Which means they can chose speakers from anywhere. It should be noted that all speaker were chosen by committee and a sign up list. They further state that no regional or three hundred mile radius speakers signed the list to speak.
There are other members that feel that the committee violated our policy and that of the conscience of our ASC, therefore violating traditions and concepts. They feel that the policy clearly illustrates to the programming committee where they wanted the speakers chosen from. They contend that the word suggest is stating that the committee remember to keep in mind that diversity is our strength. Also a pool of tapes and CD’s were available to them from our archives; which they chose not to use.

I am asking for experience and some clarity on this matter.I am also asking specifically

1 Does the programming committee not choosing speakers from where the policy states violate our policy, traditions and concepts. If so, which and if not, why not?
2 Does the word suggest imply that choosing our speaker is a suggestion or not? If so, how and if not, why?

Thank You in advance for your time and service in helping us out.

A Grateful Recovering Addict
Ishmael M