View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
I went to a treatment center where the 12 step program was the centerpiece, and I am grateful for that... They also incorporated CBT, which I didn't find helpful, personally, but many have and I am now glad to know of it. Additionally it had a fellowship for physicians who wanted to become certified in addiction medicine.... research and insight into the physiologic/biochemical basis of addiction, as alluded to in this article, was important....

Most there seemed to accept this disease model.... However, believe me when I tell you that at no time did I feel that anyone was being absolved for their sins.
I didn't get much out of CBT either, at least with regard to addiction. Perhaps I was too dependent already, or my temperament is not suited to it, I don't really know why. It does seem that some people like CBT, though, so I can't entirely dismiss it.

If they can research addiction with the aim of actually finding proper medical treatment, that would be good. Perhaps some day people will be able to take a pill and "forget" that they are addicted. If you read their writings, you can see that this was actually the dream of Bill W, Marty Mann, and others back in the day. :-)

As you say, though, at present, the disease model does not absolve you of your sins in the long run... you are still SOL.