View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

It's a curable disease, AVRT I'd say the prognosis is excellent, unless you go as far as developing Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome, right??

I see it as a neurological disorder... and that's what scientific evidence is starting to lean towards, from what I've read anyway. The Human Genome project and the dude, think his last name is Blum, have uncovered genes and genetic situations that point in the direction of a neurological disorder...

Now, of course, the only hesitation I would have involves nature-nurture debate. The brain is the least understand organ, because of its complexity. Did environmental factors cause the abnomalities to unfold after drinking or heavy drinking? If so, you could argue it's more a moral issue, right? Or lack of public education, maybe?

But, if we're born with less dopamine receptors (overabundance of the A1 allele in alcoholics), passed down from our parents... if we do have an instantaneous experience when we first consume alcohol... the euphoric high... that pulls us toward it... and begins to create addiction and dependence immediately (there is evidence for this)... then that to me seems like a brain disorder.

Abstinence (by any means necessary) intercepts the disease and begins to allow for recovery, on a physical level. The moral/spiritual benefit comes after that.

I just don't think I'd rather be a dumb**** in this case. I'd rather be dealing with a brain that I can work with and "rewire" and forge new grooves and connections... it's maleable.