Old 07-11-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
wpainterw

The sleeping problem is a familiar one whenever anyone tries to do without alcohol or pills. It can be very uncomfortable at first. I recall once when I did not sleep at all for at least 48 hours and perhaps longer than that. Then, suddenly, it was as if I was over the sleeplessness hurdle and I started to sleep very soundly, waking up feeling better than I had felt for a long time. This can happen to you if you give up booze. But it may take a lot of courage and guts and sometimes people can't do it unless they are in some kind of restricted environment. Once a person has started to sleep, this tends to be a very dangerous time, since, feeling so much better, one may have a tendency to relapse, thinking, "I'm going to be O.K. now. I can handle just one beer. I'm completely in control." Sometimes this is called the "flight into recovery" and it can easily end in a crash.
You can stop drinking or you can continue on a downward path. It's progressive and it can get far worse. The choice is up to you.

W.