Old 07-11-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ElvisInASkirt

Originally Posted by Tippingpoint View Post
Just 111 days to go till the Dublin Marathon!

It sounds like a lot, but unless you're a fairly accomplished runner, you are behind.

You've only got 16 weeks to train. Are planning on running the full marathon or a half marathon? Big difference...if you're just doing the half I wouldn't worry so much...just run 3 or 4 times a week and make sure you get your mileage up to 18k or so 2 to 3 weeks before race day.

If you're thinking full marathon the same principle applies. You want to get your mileage up to 32km 3 weeks before race day. It takes time to do that safely.

I'm training for the Toronto marathon - Oct. 16th - my run on Sunday was 15km. Next Sunday will be 16.5, back down to 11 the Sunday after that, then up to 19 a week later.

It's a great motivator to stay sober. I'm really glad to have some company on the running front in this forum. Good luck with the training and feel free to send me a note if you have any questions about the training!
Hey TP,

I ran the Belfast Marathon in May there and I've managed to maintain on average 15-20 miles a week since then. Not great but it's a start.

On the night before the long runs last time around I'd drink the best part of a bottle of vodka the night before and still go out the next day. Without that crap in my system I'm capable of doing better.

Struggling with my weight still. 210lbs and I'm 6'3" looking to get down to below 195lb by the time of the run itself.

So you're right running is a great incentive to kick the habit. My first long run this week will be 13km. Last time around I started off at 8km and worked up to 18 miles over 16 weeks of training.

Finished in 5 hours 56 seconds last time around but I'd only been running 4 months and at the same time the year before I was 280lbs.