Old 07-10-2011, 04:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
oxyious

I'm going to leave out my "personal" opinions, this is more of an answer based on my experience: Have her do it cold turkey. I did it, she won't die, she'll feel like she has a bad flu for about a week (it does vary based on amount taken/length taken and general stats), but from what I've understood, my cold turkey detox was right on par with many. Out of one week, only one day did I just wanna curl up and cry (I call it the Pukey PEAK) Exactly half way through the week long detox, many people, including me experience one day of intense vomiting, the next day is almost like a gift from God, ALL KINDS OF YUCKIE FEELINGS GO AWAY and you are left with simply symptoms that people who aren't even detoxing suffer all over the world, ALL of the time (insomnia, mild diarreah, restlessness).

Some people do have horrible detoxes, but most of those were doing much worse than your daughter. I also think some people exxagerate their symptoms (someone I know does and I asked him why and he replied "to scare people away from starting them" and I had to point out that by the time they are at a recovery board, most of them are already there, all you are doing is scaring them from stopping. I WAS EVEN AFRAID TO STOP because of reading so much, but I just sucked it up, did it and I made a long post with updates and it wasn't that bad. Having food poisoning was so much worse.

God Bless, keep us updated, send her here, everyone here is great. Private Message people if you don't want to broadcast all of your questions. There is help for you and her here. Just don't be afraid of the Cold Turkey with opiates because it's not dangerous like alcohol (booze and benzos are two things people should never detox from unsupervised) I've never heard of opiates being dangerous to stop... I've also cold turkey'ed benzo's in the past, I wasn't even abusing. I was prescribed them for a few months after a devestating incident in my life, one morning, I woke up, felt great---tossed em and three days later I was having seizures... (MY POINT is please make sure she doesn't substitute one drug for another that could be potentially more harmful) Some quacks will do that. Always seek advice of a medical professional without an agenda. (By Agenda, I mean one that isn't part owner in a detox center they want to send you to, etc... You truly want someone that has your Daughter and your families recovery as their best interest because you'll all be going through it together (as I'm sure you can already see). I had no support. I commend you for being there for her.