View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
MMkM

Thanks Hope2be

that is what I am concerned with if the ACoA big red book will open up old wounds and how people work through that.

I almost dread it.

The childhood stuff was relatively sort of normal - a lot of verbal fighting between parents that was kept from us until teen years - then tons of verbal fighting.

I did read on this forum that someone considered children being exposed to fighting of parents is considered a form of emotional abuse.

Then my Mom became an alcoholic after we were all grown which is just as painful.

And set up the dysfunctional family roles - I believe the ACoA now includes children/adults from dysfunctional families (not necessarily with an alcoholic or drug addict).

- What did end up helping the most: got out some forum posts I have saved and also got out the DBT book - Dialectical Behavior Therapy - helps with coping skills in a rational manner.

That helped some.

The biggest thing I did: heavy yardwork - that had me forgetting about it, but kept the thought of getting my yard in shape and my house to be able to invite new people/FOC (family of choice) over.

The yardwork erased that depressed/anxious feeling - guess I will have the big clippers, rake, weed eater, and lawnmower on standy to use as needed.

Tomorrow have a big sports event to participate in.

So staying busy does help.

Yes, we all know what we are going through.