View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Toronto68

Landmine, trying AA again sounds like a good idea, and you can also consider some of the other groups too, if they exist in your area.

It doesn't surprise me that your husband was a little floored about the quantity of drinking you have done or been doing. People have mentioned here in the past that it's common for women to be the ones who hide it in the home more than men, deliberately or not. Another thing that I have noticed here is that relationships can go through a strain when the person with the problem quits and then embarks upon their improvement. For some reason that can present itself as "change" in the relationship, and sometimes that isn't good. (Sometimes people are happier when the problem drinker drinks!) I don't have any advice on that, other than to say that communication is important.

I would say not to let anyone ever tell you that the amount you drink or the frequency determines whether you are an addict of alcohol or not. People have discovered they had a problem late in life and didn't need to drink a case of something every day. I suppose it's more common for an addict to be an everyday and heavy drinker (and that's what I was eventually), but that need not be the only feather to the flock. I started out as a partier and weekend drinker until I realized there was something "medicinal" in the drinking for me, and it managed to keep bordeom away and to eliminate the need for things like "hope" and a lot of things that are second nature to most people. Anyway, point being, for some people it's a journey that changes over time.

Also, I would say not to listen to people who say you need to hit a rock bottom and an extremely low one in order to be successful in quitting and staying that way. Some people call it being someone with a "high bottom" - meaning they weren't THAT bad when they need to quit (whatever THAT bad is). I would agree that it takes a person reaching a sufficient amount of pain, inside or outside, in order to make quitting work; in order to WANT to quit enough to begin with, in fact. But it's simply not true that a person needs to be within an inch of death to want to stop and to manage to stop. Sometimes people need to hold contests with one another on who had it the worst and who came through from the farthest away. Avoid those.

Good luck and keep going with what you've started.