Old 07-08-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
GettingBy

This is a great thread!!! I'm working on a couple of things... in no particular order...

- Humility and removing my self-righteous attitude. I'm learning that I have dominated a lot of my relationships, personal and professional, with my "know it all" attitude. I don't mean to come across as bossy... so I have been working on keeping my mouth shut instead of sticking my 2 cents in... and I realized I just that simple act of "zippin' it"... takes alot of work!!

- I am learning to take it easy and that I am right where I need to be. Even if it seems like all hell is breaking loose, I accept that God has a plan for me and that there has to be something he's trying to teach me or show me! By accepting life on life's terms I have found that my need to control is rapidly diminishing... it's so amazing... but it works if you work it :-)

I'm so grateful for where I have come in my recovery program! Our 3yr old son split his forehead wide open the other night. It was NOT GOOD. There was lots of tears and screaming, and chaos... until Mommy strapped on her Al-anon toolbelt! I was so grateful for those tools... to help me settle down, focus on what I could control, what I needed to do, and not get sucked up insanity!! I was able to find peace and gratitude - in what was a very crazy situation! It was amazing to see my son respond to my peace... he sat calmly through 5 stitches! The docs and nurses were in awe of him... I was so proud of how calm and brave he was.

I love my program... I love who I am becoming as a person. I'm learning to drop my defensive mechanisms (particularly sarcarsm!)... and learning to become a kinder and gentler person. I have found tremendous compassion for all God's creatures!

Lots more work to do - but seeing the progress makes me keep comin' back!

Thanks for letting me share!
Shannon