View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 05:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sojourner

Welcome to SR and the world of recovery. You do not say how old your son is. I'm assuming he is of legal age.

Going into a halfway house is a very good option. Not going to college right now sounds like good advice to me. Living around other people serious about sobriety, challenging each other on their behaviors that could lead to relapse is a very good thing. You see, your son's brain has been damaged by the chemicals he took. It took a while for that damage to happen, and it is going to take a while for his brain to heal. Working full-time and being responsible for his bills is a great way to start back into the world of sober living while at the same time living 24/7 with other people striving to do the same is a very good thing.

My advice for you is to read the stickies at the top, educate yourself on alcohol and other drugs and their effect on the brain and the person's behavior, the family's response to all of that, and VERY IMPORTANT to find yourself Alanon and/or Naranon meetings to become involved in. Oh, and don't forget this site also.

Again, welcome to SR and the world of recovery.