View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 04:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Asharin

Need advice please....

I'm looking for advice on the situation with my son. He came to me in May with his addiction to percocets that he had been taking for about 8 months. The next day we got him into a detox. Upon release he was fearful of the outpatient option and decided to call a place that one of the counselors had told him about. The next day he was on a flight, at their expense to this place that I thought was a Godsend. Now 45 days later they are recommending a halfway house for him there. I'm not against that at all, but I'm now questioning their motives. The halfway house there would mean that they would still be handling his treatment, and I have actually seen less forward movement in his recovery now than when he first got there. He left here knowing and saying that although it was going to be hard but he knew he would have to leave behind most of his friends. Then he called one of them this week. He rarely calls his family, and his girlfriend that he knows is unhealthy for him dangles as he started that conversation and then left her confused. I'm new to this so correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't they be helping him learn to face these issues while he's there before they release him? The other thing they keep telling me is that coming back to school because he's in college would be too stressful for him, but a halfway house would require him to get a full time job and pay all his bills. Wouldn't that be just as stressful?..