View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
angie4

Katrina, I am not a mother of an addict. I am a wife of one. I cant imagine what it would be like to watch your child suffer like that. You must feel so helpless. I can say that being here, reading and writing will help. Stay strong and on your knees and you will get through. My mother in law has 2 sons. Both are addicts. My AH has become my problem but she does have one son (34 years old) who lives at home. He is an addict and relys on his mom for everything. She pays all the bills, cooks his meals, cleans his clothes, bails him out when necessary, repairs his truck (after each time he wrecks it) and makes excuces for him. I am an outsider and dont know what her reasons are. I suppose just plain and simple love. But, let me tell you it is doing him absolutley NO good. He is a grown man and she needs to force him to act like one. Think about it. If you knew that ALL your problems would be handled by someone else wouldnt you just sit back and have fun. Would you have any reason to grow up and take care of business. Believe me, if I thought someone else would pay the bills I wouldnt go to work. If I thought someone else would wash the dishes I would let them sit. Ha! You and I know life isnt like that. If we dont dust the living room its not going to magically get dusted. i know that it putting it in simple terms but think about it. If you dont allow him to be adult and make his own way (even if its not the one you would choose for him) he will never stand on his own two feet. Push that little birdie out of the nest. You have raised him. You have loved him. You have taught him all that you can. It is now on your grown son's shoulders to be the man you raised. And if he chooses to live on the streets and use drugs it is not your fault. As he is a grown man. Let him be one. You are doing him not justice by treating him like a child. Children will only be children as long as you allow them to be. Just some advice from an outsider who is watching this same situation play out to someone near and dear to me.