View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
underoath
polyaddicted cocanut

Well, I firmly believe anxiety is a behavioral condition that through repetition becomes a part of the subconscious habit. It can have triggers... but how it all began isn't important. It's a cycle that once you get "stuck" in it becomes hard to break... like, forgetting how to do something you've already learned, like driving... anxiety is a natural reaction, the problem for those of us with an anxiety condition is that this anxiety response is stuck "on"... causing symptoms, causing sensations, causing thoughts, causing more anxiety, causing more sensations... (physical and mental)

I went from having slight generalized anxiety and social anxiety as a kid, to developing full blown 24/7 panic... I literally thought I had reached a point of no return. Fortunately, I have seen much improvement in my life, and I'm not 100% better, but if I had to rate it, I'd say I am about 90% better. So yeah, it does get better- but it certainly takes a lot of work, and it isn't easy. It starts with recognizing the symptoms/sensations of anxiety, and then constantly putting your attention on other things. It takes time, but I am so grateful to have made it this far, like I said I never thought I'd get better.

Most people that suffer from this behavioral condition have nothing wrong with them, but they do share some of the same traits- creative intellect, sensitivity, deep and analytical thinking... these traits are a recipe for anxiety. That doesn't mean that if you have all of these that you have to have anxiety, or that you will always have anxiety issues. There is hope...