View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by MickeyAnMeisce View Post
Of course you didn't. I was making an analogy. Diabetes is like alcoholism in that it is an incurable disease, yet no-one disputes that diabetes is a disease.
Frankly, I don't particularly care if it alcoholism is a disease or not, although I do take issue with the way some people use it for self-serving purposes. Whether it is a disease or not, at present, the solution is still the same: quitting drinking.

I'm not sure that I understand your point. Yes, diabetes can be treated with pharmaceuticals, but it usually doesn't remit under treatment like bacterial infections do under antibiotics.
I'm not sure what your idea of "treatment" is, but I do know that most people who advocate the disease concept of alcoholism have no intention whatsoever of proposing an actual medical solution to alcoholism. As for remission, it certainly does remit. Just as the brain and the body adapt to the continued presence of alcohol in the body, they will necessarily adapt to its continued absence. Simple biology.

Acamprosate (Campral) therapy is also effective, as well as Campral-disulfiram (Anabuse) therapy.
You are correct, I did forget to mention acamprosate. As for disulfiram, that doesn't treat anything. It is akin to having an ankle bracelet that electrocutes you every time you drink, or someone putting a gun to your head and saying "drink and die."

Abstinence is not a cure. A cure returns the body to a non-pathological state. The brain is permanently adapted by the use of the chemical of dependence and does not return to its non-pathological state even with continued abstinence.
The brain does return to its non-pathological state with continued abstinence. The brain will adapt in order to maintain homeoestasis, just as it always does. If it did not adapt in response to a change in homeoestasis, whether by addition or sudden removal of a foreign chemical, no one would ever become chemically dependent, nor would anyone ever experience withdrawal.

Last edited by cece1960; 07-06-2011 at 08:44 AM.