View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 05:42 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
SteppingItUp
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
"Heavy Drinker" would be an understatement in my case. I thought I was a "heavy drinker" alright, until I actually tried to quit, and the withdrawal kicked in. I then realized that I was physically, and not just psychologically dependent on it.
There are three different types of drinkers described in the chapter, "There Is A Solution:" (1) the moderate drinker, (2) the hard drinker and (3) the real alcoholic.

Hard drinkers:

"Then we have a certain type of hard drinker. He may have the habit badly enough to gradually impair him physically and mentally. It may cause him to die a few years before his time. If a sufficiently strong reason—ill health, falling in love, change of environment, or the warning of a doctor—becomes operative, this man can also stop or moderate, although he may find it difficult and troublesome and may even need medical attention."
Note, "may even need medical attention." Indeed, the hard drinker may be the friend parked on the neighboring bar stool, drinking as much -- or even more -- than the real alcoholic. The key difference is that given sufficiently strong reason, although he may find it difficult and troublesome, he can stop or moderate his drinking.