View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 08:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
jbr1971
Serenity, Courage and Wisdom

Cerberus, I agree with the suggestion that you don't go this year, but I completely understand why that's not really an option. I just returned from a camping trip with my family over the holiday weekend, and even at 45 days sober, it was pretty touch and go. First sober camping trip, ever.

There were good parts [having the energy to go hiking with the kids; not sleeping until noon; just a general feeling of really being there, in the moment] and bad parts [worst sunburn ever; tripping and falling down a hill - BOY did I feel that!], but the fact is, it's what the kids will remember. Having made the decision to stop drinking, making that decision every day is something you might find yourself needing to repeat often.

It's like a muscle you have to build up. You have nothing to lose by trying to work it.

Since camping is so physical, find things to do to keep you occupied while you're there. Exercise and physical activity are excellent for the recovering alcoholic. My husband and I divide the chores, so if he wanted to drink, he wouldn't necessarily do it around me.

I hope you have a wonderful time, and in the words of A. A. Milne, "You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."