View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Peter G

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Nice. What wisdom. And ultimately uninspiring... The lesson here seems to be once the downtrodden get sober via AA they'll sometimes wear AA blinders forever...
Honestly I hope someday you will be comfortable enough to look back here and see how you have read into this what is not being said at all. At any rate, I know 10 years ago I sounded almost identical to you, and as yeahgr8 said, so do I, my 10 year younger self would have told me to go **** myself with a lot less tact than you have.

I will say that hopefully things work out differently for you and you never have to see the side of this disease that I have lived this past decade. Because no matter what you believe in or not, know this: if you have a problem with booze, it gets exponentially worse for as long as you are still drinking. Whatever your decision is, and whatever program suits your needs and requirements, do the work and we'll see you on the other side

In the meantime, there is a great article on AA you can read here 12 Steps to the 12 Steps | The Fix

It's from an agnostic, non believing, opinionated alcoholic, and it speaks to many of the things you are belaboring here, with some very enlightening explanations on a few of the larger myths revolving around this program.

Good luck.