View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 01:23 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Peter G

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Well, that's about enough for me. Thanks.

I figured I'd give a forum like this a try... thinking the diversity here would be just the thing... a place where people of different philosophies and backgrounds could be supportive. What a crock.

When people start telling me to dumb myself down and give up... something's just not right about that.

There is one thing I know, I am not nor will I ever be powerless to help myself....

Good luck to everyone here.
No one is telling you to do anything. In the end, you drink too much, and how you deal with that is your own made bed. And where AA is concerned, if you take "giving up" to mean giving up on yourself you completely miss the point of what's been said, and what the 12 steps are all about. But that's neither here nor there, and you likely wouldn't understand it anyway, until you're prepared to listen without judgment and sans over-reaction. Fact is I've seen nothing but folks simply sharing with you their/our experiences in the hopes you might glean some personal truth from having read about them.

And frankly, for you to call this forum and/or the folks here a "crock" is more than slightly insulting. This forum alone helps greatly to keep people sober - some are sober today only because of this forum, completely sans AA. It helped me before I grabbed the BB, and still does, even after I discovered the 12 steps. There are plenty of divergent personalities here, many of whom are sober as judges in the absence of any regimen at all. THAT is what this forum does, and THAT is no crock and no small thing. IMO the only person here being judgmental and abrasive is you.

Good luck wherever you end up hanging your hat, I hope you win your battle with booze no matter the weapon you decide upon.

I'll leave you with this parting phrase, one that my own sponsor told me not 2 weeks ago when I was being overly dramatic about something... "Get over yourself already".