View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
craven

90 days on July 3

Hello everyone!

I have been a lurker for the last 3-4 months. I decided to quit drinking on Apri 4, 2011 for 30 days. On May 4 I decided to stay quit for another 30 days. On June 4 I decided to stay quit for another 30 days. So, I've just celebrated 90 days of sobreity. I feel AWESOME. Not in a 'I want to shout from the rooftops' way. It's a very calm, very peaceful, focused and clear-headed feeling. I feel like I am emotionally balanced. I do get sad sometimes, but I know that that sadness is fleeting. I know that I am in charge of my happiness, that I have to be proactive in creating a happy life. I'm kind of rambling right now- I've been contemplating my first post on this forum for many weeks, but I have hesitated in the past because I wanted to write the 'perfect' first post. Well, to heck with that! No such thing as perfect, right!

I am also a member of the F&F forum. Those folks helped me figure out how to get out of a relationship with someone whose drinking behavior made me very very uncomfortable. A few months after the break up I realized that I had problems with my own drinking, so I decided to visit this forum. Shortly after reading a few posts I decided that I'd give 30 days a try. I am so grateful that I did.

Everyone in my life was flabbergasted when I told them that I had decided to quit drinking. "What? You don't have a problem! You're perfectly fine! You can have one glass of wine... can't you?" was basically the reaction that I would get/have gotten. The answer is that I cannot drink because drinking would mean that I am not sober, and I love sobriety WAY MORE than I want to drink.

All of my friends drink, so I have experienced feelings of being the odd woman out, but again, my sobriety is much more important to me than dulling the occasional uncomfortable feeling.

I have not gone to any support/face to face meetings. I do want to try an AA meeting, and I think it is something that I am moving to closer to actually doing. I know that it will help me stay protective of my sobriety. I also want to start seeing a therapist.

My main focus is to nurture and protect my sobriety, continue to learn about myself, and stay grateful for all that I have.

Thanks for listening!! Thanks for being here!!

Your stories and your posts have played a HUGE role in my deciding to stay sober after the first 30 days. I am eternally grateful to all of you.

craven