View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 12:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SwanSong

ETA, thank you so much for posting that link to the thread discussing 'can I control my drinking'. It's been a really great read (although you caused me to stay up past my bed time! j/k).

Sarah- I highly encourage you to read the entire link and I thank all those that posted in that thread. Even 8+ months away from my last drink it never hurts to re-familiarize oneself with the insidious nature of this disease or to see (err read) that my past experiences with alcohol are invariably the same as anyone else who is addicted to the substance. I know I've never heard anybody tell me about how they were once an alcoholic but can now can drink normally, I've never even heard of such a person. I have however heard tales of big foot, and I don't even think it exists.

As disappointing as it may seem to someone new to recovery that if they go back to the bottle it is never, ever going to change and that things will only get worse....it must also be soothing to see so many of us from so many parts of the world using a variety of recovery methods all accomplishing the seemingly impossible - arresting our alcoholism and learning to love life without being bothered by the drink problem anymore.