View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 11:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SwanSong

Wow Sarah, that's a great question and it appears you've gotten some really good responses.

I think this is exactly why one of the recommendations if you do AA is to do 90 meetings in 90 days (with at least one meeting each day).

When I spoke like you posted above to my sponsor in the early days he would say 'it sounds like mr. thirsty is having a party in your head'

It was so true, my thoughts were being tugged by the compulsion that drinking would be easier than quitting.
Since I couldn't quit on my own like some here on SR have, I inundated myself with meetings - 2, 3, 4 a day. Whatever it took. And I asked my sponsor to sponsor me my 1st day and I didn't hesitate to start working the steps because I wanted the obsession removed.

I know that the people here on SR have recovered in various ways, but to me I can't imagine anybody just setting the bottle down (not an alcoholic like me) and saying "I'm done. No more for me!". That must be followed by taking action and more action. A change is needed, as they say- it's an inside job.

When I first came into sobriety this time around it was made clear to me that- the old me obviously drank (excessively). the current me will one day drink again. hence i needed to discover a new me if i wanted to leave alcohol alone once and for all. I know it's a contradictory statement but, I'm most certainly still Swansong but not the Swansong that came to SR or AA 8+ months ago...if that makes any sense.

I can't think my way into acting right, but I can act my way into right thinking.