Thread: Hi, I'm new :)
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Takumi

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
... I'm a 30 something female living in the southeast (US). I'm self-employed and work from home as a freelance writer and remote call center agent...
...And for a few years now I've tried different online programs... some of which helped, others not so much. Moderation Management just wasnt for me. I'm very happy with Women For Sobriety... although I haven't been very successful with staying sober for more than about a week at a time. The longest I've evern gone was 8 months... I felt really good during that time. I was 27 yrs old and that was quite an accomplishment. I want to motivate myself to do something to completely stop my drinking once and for all. I don't want to come back here when I'm 40 or 50 with even more problems, wishing I'd done something about it in my 30's. I have lots of books on the subject, and I do pick those up and read those often. I do not like AA. My mom did AA years ago. I have bad memories of those times... and I'm also agnostic. I also disagree with some of the philosophies of AA... although I'd never tell anyone not to do it if it works. I just prefer my own secular methods at this time...
It sounds like you and I have a lot in common. I was sober for a year before and it was the best year of my life. I know that if I can quit for about 14 days, I can quit forever. Well anyway, that was how long it took the first time until I could tell it was completely gone. Back then, I didn't know that if you were an alcoholic before, you can never drink again. I was uneducated on the subject I suppose. I'm greatly looking forward to being sober again and I basically HAVE to do it. My living circumstances pretty much depend on it. Some people think that having a drink brings them peace but it does the opposite for me: It has removed any enjoyable peace and serenity from my life. Oh, BTW, I'm new here as well.