View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 10:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

[QUOTE=Darklight;3016554]
08. Don't isolate. - Nobody can beat addiction by themself and we addicts love to isolate so our fears and insecurities can reinforce our addiction. Even if you're a total introvert, go places where you can be around people: coffee shops, libraries, art galleries, parks, even the mall. If your recovery program has meetings, go to as many as you can. Be around people; not alone at home.

09. Talk to people. - Share your feelings with those in your recovery group and with your therapist. Nobody is going to know how you are doing unless you tell them. If you have a partner, let know them how you're doing, but remember they are not your sponsor or therapist & don't treat them as such. Instead, talk to those in your group. Get their phone numbers and call them.
Get out of your head.
QUOTE]

These two probably intimidate me the most... I've become so isolated in my 30's compared to my 20's. Working online from home even reinforces my hermit way of life. I do live with my boyfriend and 3 cats, but I know I need to get out and around some people... My boyfriend is even more introverted than me it seems and he isn't thrilled with the idea of me even joining hiking clubs, book clubs, etc!! I'm going to force myself to do it though, and he's going to have to deal with it.

Great post and replies! Top ten lists are always fun to read