Old 06-27-2011, 08:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hunny1116

I also want to encourage you to continue reading and posting on Sober Recovery, and please continue your Al-Anon meetings... it is the place to be for you and for the life you will build for yourself and your son.

Focusing on what is healthy for us, is also healthy for the addicts and alcoholics in our lives. It's a whole new way of thinking for us, and it takes practice and patience.

My suggestion would be to detach and allow him to attend his AA meetings and work his program while you attend your Al-Anon meetings and work your program. There is alot he doesn't know about Al-Anon, and it's very common for addicts and alcoholics to believe it is a way for us "to get rid of the alcoholic." Nothing could be farther from the truth, LOL! .... But, having never attended an Al-Anon meeting, how could they know that?

Maybe you could find an Al-Anon meeting during the day and leave your son at a local "mother's day out" program so you could attend. You can also call the Al-Anon number in your phone book, tell them your situation and discuss your options with the person who answers the telephone. Many times they are able to help and suggest solutions.

At any rate, I wish you the best and hope you will post again.

And, I leave you with this beautiful quote from How Al-Anon works for Families & Friends of Alcoholics
Al-Anon does not promise that every alcoholic will get sober or that sobriety will solve our problems or fix our relationships. We may never have the family of our dreams or win the love of those who have no love to give.. . . . We let go of the illusion that kept us imprisoned in an endless cycle of repetitious, self-defeating behavior and inevitable disappointment. . . .

We move toward hope.
with love,

Hunny