Old 06-27-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TigerLili

Maintaining sobriety when with an alcoholic significant other.

I'd really appreciate some advice and encouragement on staying sober when in a relationship with an active alcoholic. I'm not breaking up with him so that is not an option. His drinking triggers my desire to drink and I have slipped a few times and had 1-2 drinks on several occasions. I really don't want to drink AT ALL but I'm scared I'll start down that path again. I know that picking up a drink is a choice - no one's forcing me, but I haven't had a relationship in years and this is my first one in sobriety (or attempted sobriety) so I need to work out how to stay sober and not give in to the triggering. He had a long period of sobriety but then relapsed.

When we met he said he wanted to get sober again and quit for a few months, but then picked up again and so did I. He has mentioned a few times he thinks he's ready to quit again. I don't know what will happen between us long term (or even short term) but I need strategies to help me not drink even if he is. Even if this relationship doesn't work out, chances are I'll end up in another one with someone who drinks at least socially. This is a new scenario for me and I'd really appreciate some advice on how to manage it.