View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
GlenK

Confession... Day 19

Just heard back from my doctor on third blood test and ultrasound results.

The last time I drank was June 8th. June 10th I went in to see my doc for help with the shakes, night sweats, etc. (librium and little pink pills for my heart). The 11th my blood test came back and my liver enzyme numbers were significantly elevated. He sent me in for an abdominal ultrasound the next day and another blood test on the 20th.

I just got the results back... one enzyme number is back to normal, and the other is down from 330'ish to 110 (not quite normal yet). The ultrasound showed no gallstones, no kidney, spleen, or gall bladder issues, no scarring (cirrhosis) and only a fatty liver... which should heal with time.

The first thought I had was... phew! After 30 years of drinking, progressing to about a gallon p/week of Popov I was very relieved.

My second thought was - oh crap! Now that I know I haven't done any major damage - I can have a drink! Keep me in your prayers and thoughts please... I don't want to have to go through this again and I've already got 19 days of sobriety down.

My brain is messing with me now and the liquor store is on my way home... tough fight ahead of me.