View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 04:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Mark75

Sure, looking at things from an evolutionary perspective, that whole lizard brain thing can explain some of that...

It is imperative that certain things happen if we are to survive as an individual... we must eat, drink, seek shelter... or as a species... we must procreate... so all this survival behavior, if it feels good... then it's more likely that we will do it... then we can talk about dopamine and all that...

Reptile Brain, Mid Brain, Lizard Brain... whatever. Basic survival. Alcohol gets all wrapped up in that for some.

For some....

Why is it that, for some, common sense is overruled, risks are taken, priorities change... all for the drink... Maybe our midbrains have been duped!! It thinks we need alcohol to survive... how did that happen? And what exactly is our role in it? Well, we keep rewarding it... feel bad, take a drink, feel good, take a drink, something missing? take a drink, too shy? take a drink, want to supercharge sex? take a drink.... so we've trained our midbrain to expect it...

Duh

I totally get and understand the reptile brain thing and alcoholism.

Why did my reptile brain need it and my wife's didn't? I trained it to, that's why!! Well, IMHO and that's my experience.

I have heard many say that they were born alcoholic. I believe that to be true. Now define alcoholic in that context... LOL... I did hear someone say that they were born curious. Now that!!!!! Now that, I can relate to that. Another thread asked why we became addicted... Well, hell, I liked it, I wanted to fully investigate the feeling... and others like it... LOLOLOLOL

Why? Why did I like to do that, Why was I curious, and someone else wasn't? Why did I think it was OK to do that.... Even before my midbrain became reprogrammed???.... Or.... did my midbrain come programed that way??? Did I have some responsibility there?

Which came first, the chicken or the cart?

Sorry for the ramble.... Disease? Midbrain? Too much of that talk makes my head hurt... I should get dressed and go to work, LOL..