View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
If you want to know what a majority of society thinks ask a normal drinker or a person who doesn't have addiction issues.

I think there are genetic and environmental factors that can lead to addiction issues and alcoholism, but I have learned over the last year that it is not a disease, (for me), it was a personality/psychological disorder. I do react differently to alcohol, but the major problem, (the drinking), was self caused and self cured.
Many "normal drinkers" have actually come to accept the disease theory, in as much as they take it to mean medical disease.

Upwards of 90% of American Society accepts the notion, though most without knowing just what is meant by "the disease" of alcoholism. Most certainly have no idea as to how recovery culture actually defines it.

I am aware that a large number of people who don't accept the medical disease theory do accept the psychological disease theory, and are often fans of Stanton Peele and his partner in crime, Jeffrey A. Schaler, which make up the bulwark of the "addiction is a choice" movement.

While I believe firmly in anyone's own ability to quit for good, regardless of how deeply they are addicted, I am not a fan of psychological theories of addiction myself.

Although in practical terms, psychology can help people to quit their addictions, I do believe that there is a physiological component to alcoholism, just as there is with nicotine addiction.