View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EveningRose

Originally Posted by Darklight View Post
ROFLMAO!!! -- I can totally relate!

I got blamed for every single problem that my family had. When my parents had a fight, that was my fault. When my mom was having issues with her boss, that was my fault. When my dad had to change jobs, that was my fault. On and on and on, a thousand times in a circle. -- Despite the fact that I never had any outstanding issues with behavior as a child and was, by all accounts, a 'model citizen'.
I, too, have been blamed for my parents' marriage problems. I've been blamed for my older sibling's rages (said sibling has gone into many such rages to many people over the years when I was nowhere near, but when they were aimed at me, I was blamed entirely for it.)

I have been held 100% responsible for issues between myself and my younger sibling. (There were things my mother and older sibling did that LARGELY contributed to those issues). If I stayed after school for activities or went up to my room and just kept my nose clean, then I was accused of 'not loving my family.' If I stayed in my room and the younger sister constantly pushed the door open over and over while I was trying to work, making noises and doing everything in her power to provoke, I was the problem if I finally reacted, in any way, shape, or form. "She's just a little girl. Why are you getting mad at a little girl?" If she misbehaved while I babysat, that was my fault. If I attempted to enforce any rules while I babysat, then I was accused of trying to be the parent!

In the wake of my father beating up my mother, *I* was taken along to family counseling and family counseling type movies at some church and informed that I was part of the problem!!

I was threatened routinely with being kicked out of the house to the point I finally packed up and left. As I said, I was an honor student, not some kid stealing my parents money and trashing their house with wild parties.

I was informed at the age of 40 (one of the final straws) that it's understandable if people scream and publicly humiliate me because I'm annoying and the rest of them aren't. (I pointed out that I don't scream at them.) Actually, I find it incredibly annoying to be told that two siblings want my pianos (as gifts) and to pay for space in a moving truck to haul them across country and then be told, sorry, we changed our minds. I find some of my older sibling's behavior incredibly annoying. But that's regarded as me being too critical....

I have been accused of not cleaning up after my children, despite my clear memories of doing so, and I'm completely baffled, except to think that perhaps my mother has the toys on her shelf in alphabetical order and that's what I failed to do. I really can't fathom where that one comes from, but they said I didn't and that's that, end of story, and I've been ordered to do better, regardless of my memories of scouring the place clean because I know what my mother is like. It's literally like being down the rabbit hole.

And so it goes.

I guess it's good to hear of it happening to other people. It makes me realize I'm not crazy.