View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ranger
Encourager In Training

My parents created a very high stress environment that established w/in me a general state of anxiousness and feeling that love is conditional.

I dated a gal from 8th grade until my freshman year of college, at which time she fell for a new kid in town.

I was inconsolable, had sh!t coping skills, and the only advice my parents new to give was to pray.

I wore my knees out for three months before alcohol came into my life and "succeeded" where God had "failed".

Throw in a bit of genetic propensity towards alcoholism, and the situation became a perfect storm.

I was aware of NONE of this until I quit drinking and began working a recovery program.

For me, the forensics are critically important because:

1. It was digging through my backstory where I discovered I was an anxious person and I tend to give love conditionally.

2. My unborn children are likely to inherit this same genetic propensity towards addiction.

3. For better or worse, I'm simply not ok w/not understanding they dynamics and circumstances surrounding my becoming an addict.

In short, I needed to dig into my past to understand and learn the kind of person I was going into recovery.